Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Your Name" - The Jewel closest yet farthest from you

Its most certain that you could guess what my favorite alphabet is going to be... S!
you might think its because of my name, it start with S and so the Letter....and therefore my favorite. but to bring the truth out in the open, its just the other way round. Me being the narcissist, love every part of me because it is that way. But when it comes to my name , knowing that it was kept, by my parents without putting much thought, i might not have liked it so much with a ring of "taps" in it .But the reason it belongs to me more than anything else , courtesy the alphabet S.

You some how grow with name, it may be one of the 1st sane things you learn about your own self. One of the 1st things that make you interact with the world. In spite of the fact that it being the identity that stays with you, travels with you, is you, is something that you can not take credit for.Its given to you by your parents with love.you accept it over the years and start to connect with it.
You know when you name is being called in the role call in the class, its you. You turn around when a friend calls over. But have you ever sat with your own self and repeated you name over 20 time without any reason just to realize, its you!Try it. Well I have experienced it and can say that it is the time when you start connecting to yourself. You take the 1st step of feeling the real you.I know many would disagree with this concept of name affecting your personality. I do have doubts myself whether being ARJUN makes you life as miserable as it was for the real "Arjun". But i do strongly believe in its corollary, i believe connecting to yourself starts when you connect with your name.

I doubt if many people follow this approach because its like "the name" is for the outer world. People know you by it . Thats you identity,but it is for the rest to know and call you. They see you as person "XYZ" because thats your name.But how often do we call ourselves? A very successful psychological therapy makes you talk to your own self. By calling your self with your name with confidence and hope in voice. It make you instill in your own self the faith and courage. Just by speaking to your own self and exclaiming yourself by your own name you can do wonders.thats the power in your name, no matter what is means. Very few times do we realize, that something we are so close to, "our name", something that is only ours, is actually something we never paid attention to..it just stays on and on with us and we choose to ignore the surmounting untapped power that resides in it.

When i did that myself, the ring was different.I felt i was a different person when I hear my name being called out by others and i was different person as I called it out to myself over and over again. World around me wouldn't have accepted that disparaging attitude of mine towards my name when it bought me face to face with person with the same name. She was a person i spent maximum time with my friend from graduate school. My name was no more mine.It was her's and i wasn't jealous at all. I have not tried, since then, the closure exercise of being close to my name because now i exactly knew how it sounded like, how it felt like when i say it loud or shout it out. I had all the liberty to do all all that i wanted to without being tagged as an insane person who repeats her name herself. This was because it was no more my name. It was her's or may be our name. I dont know if she ever pondered on this, but the feeling was mutual. Its a rare and I must say a very different feeling to hang out all day long with a person when you call each other with same name.

I have had moments when i have felt far or close to my name. But one thing i could never let go was the love for my alphabet S. That was something which I had established that even though its a part of mine as well as many others name, it had what i loved, the style. I dont know how you would find it, but the reason is the shape i love the alphabet for its shape. I love the alphabet for its sound...the phonetic .I love the alphabet for its artistic sense of taking different forms.I love the alphabet as its so feminine, and above all i love it as its in my name.



13 comments:

Vineet said...

Very well Said, Sonal...

Especially the last para, in which u explained why u love this alphabet 'S'. I never thought of loving some alphabet for its shape, for its artistic feature, even i never realized such kind of thing, now i could understand, just bcoz of it my handwriting is so poor :) I also love the same alphabet 'S', but bcoz of some other reasons, which are connected to some very special persons or things in my life.

You very well explained the connection of one's name with him/her. its really very true. Many times i felt uncomfortable to call someone who has my own name.

Here one scenario comes in my mind, when i was in my school days, there was one teacher named "Md. Ateeq" and we also had a peon with same name in our school. I could not explain how much it was tough to call that peon with his name. The reason, we always asked to respect our teachers and never called them up with their name. Even he was a peon, but with the same name as of my teacher.

Even now, sometimes, if there is some Senior in office, whom i respect, and called him 'Sir', its really difficult to call someone, who is having dat name.

Thanks for sharing it... :)

TrAnSgReSs said...

hahaha.. with name in mijnd we connect to the personality.we some how try ans make a connection like for us airshwarya name always rings aishwarya rai..... but my domestic help has the same name.
well the problem arises when .. we dont connect to out own name:)
which is the most important step.!
:)
@ vineet -- Thanks Alot :)
your comments i always look forward too :0)

Vineet said...

Hmmmmm, Connection with your name, is it possible everytime?

I am not sure e.g there is one beggar whose name is "Ameerchand", will he be able to connect his name. I'll say "No", it was his parents who gave him such name, without realizing, what he is going to do in future. I am not sure, if every Aishwarya is beautiful. Even here i am not comaring her to "Aiswharya Rai". I am talking about not Ugly.

I hope everyone has listened one Idiom "Aankh ke andhey naam Nainsukh", so here will Mr. Nainsukh be able to connect with his name. "No" again...

So its just situations and time, which connect us with our name...

TrAnSgReSs said...

when i said connect .... i dint mean only literally... oh well either of them can atleast mentally feel free to feeel like ameerchand or beautiful aishwarya :)

When i said connect i meant close to it . feeel it love it .. connect to the ring .. :)...the your name call feel...say slowly and clearly not to any one else but only for your ears!

Vineet said...

Well, here its very much clear dat you are asking to connect your own soul with your name.

But the Idiom which i used in my last comment, mostly used for a negative comment, which always comes when there is a difference like Ameerchand or Aishwarya...

Now in such situations, how is it possible to love such names, even if they are your own name... :)

TrAnSgReSs said...

bualo usko jiney meraa naam yeh likh diya tha .. bualao...!!!! amitabh bachan way!!!!

Satakshi said...

Great names...Namesake...my name..!your Name..? this is one question we have asked and answered an in finite times..! most of our conversations start wid it..interviews..interacting wid nu people..in bus trains,flights,shopping,chat box flirtings.clubs..and hundreds of other occasions..have we fr once thought y ds question n nuthng els..like wat do u do..or whr r u frm...neva..instead we are all very curious to know as wat exactly do u call ur self...lol! but i certainly believe dat a name says a thousands words about a person and his personality..i have fr some reasons always correlated a persons personality by his/her name..fr me its definately the first impression..
Names become r identity..its the way people around us start seeing us..or relating us with...though i have a name which most of my friends and family find it quite hard to call..guess thats d reason i am d only person who has not 1 but atleast 10 nick names/short names...hate it though...luved to be called by the name which was the first gift to me by my mum..whn i entered her womb..or whn i first opened my eyes in this world...
sorry sonal i believe i have started ds little blog of my own here instead of simple comment...but believe me this is what it does..u have put it beautifully..logics apart quite liked the sense of knowing myself through my Name..enjoyed reading it..enjoyed taking back d elements which remind me of going back in time and realizing what it meant then and what it means now to me...
My name...besides it starts wid "S" too..guess we have always had ds wierd facination fr it...d letter S..remeber writing it in our registers...school desk..water tank..n where not.
atlast wanted to say a grt piece,beautifully put up..enjoyed reading every bit of it...this is what i take frm it..:-)
the one thing we carry with ouselves forever..is r name..
luv ya

TrAnSgReSs said...

@ satakshi---AWESUM....i think you should write as wel.... awesum points man.. some of them i wishi had talked to you befe so i would have included none the less your comments have them..
And oh my god you remined me of my love for letter S...
dont you remember ,,, i you write my name every where.. so much in extension lectures i used to write on White Saturday uniform.. and Mr saneja had once scolded me for it .. btw i still have that skirt. and the name is still there :P
Aireal surf nothing could take my name off it
:)

love you for going through my blog. thanx

shivam said...

nice article reveiling power of our name i too have xperienced that our name is package of power to which only few of us open. bt i feel s is a masculine alphabet. article might give practical excersice to do in solitude if u r not mob concious.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Andrew Jackson’s Big Block of Cheese with nary a macaroni in sight.

Anonymous said...

awesome blog, do you have twitter or facebook? i will bookmark this page thanks. peace maria

TrAnSgReSs said...

hey! yeah i am on facebook as well as twitter :)
sonaltewari@gmail.com
Keep reading :) and thanks

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace klara.

Where mind is without fear ... where fetters are broken .....and my insolence is revered . You are welcome !!!